Saturday, March 27, 2010

THE HOLI FESTIVAL OF COLORS!!!!

Went to the Holi of Festival of Colors today. It's a Hindu religious celebration that they had at their temple in Spanish Fork. They had two different times, and my best friend Emily and her roommate Liz and our friend Rafael and myself headed down for the morning party. It was nuts. We ended up parking probably about a mile away and made the trek to the temple. They said there was about 10 thousand people when we were there. When we got there most people were in white shirts and ready to party. They had music playing and all. We went and bought our color powder and was ready to have fun. This was our first year so we didn't know what we were doing. We didn't know they had a count down and that's when everyone tosses their powder in the air. Everyone though was already coloring themselves up. We had a blast. We tossed, sprinkled, and dumped powder all over each other. Needless to say we didn't stay clean for long, which made it even more fun. Finally after watching a few of the Indian girls do their culture dances the real party started. We started counting down from 20 and when we got to one there is no telling what happened, everyone was tossing all their powder in the air. Everyone had at least 3-6 bags of different colors. It was a huge color smoke cloud. You couldn't see anything for a few minutes. The announcer kept telling us to not forget to breath. It was amazing to see the smoke clouds we went from beautiful blue skies to a hazy dust look. My ears were caked inside with half a bag of green powder and down my chest was orange powder, needless to say my garments are no longer white, nor is my bra. The walk back to the car was fun, and the ride home we just laughed and had weird looks on the freeway from people. It was fun to go and celebrate and learn a little about other people's religion and culture. Very nice people and very respectful. I bet more than half the people there were LDS. I guess it's a huge BYU thing to do. I guess it doesn't take much to entertain us. Give us a couple bags of color powder and let us throw it on each other and we are happy. My friend Rafael said, "it's like a food fight, except it isn't edible.  Thanks guys for a fun Saturday afternoon. Oh a side note, I don't think I've ever had purple burgers before, it was cool looking. LOL!!!!

No comments: